Friday 23 October 2009

BIRDS - FARNE ISLANDS, NORTHUMBRIA, JUNE 2009

First 3 of 31 pictures

I know we are just meant to send our best but these 31 pictures have been cut down from several hundreds and I just wanted to show what a wonderful trip we had to the Farne Islands. Hope you enjoy them

This is an arctic tern. The young lad would have just got off the boat to Inner Farne Island and you have to walk up steps and along a path right through where they are nesting on the ground. There is no way to avoid them. But it doesn't seem to interfere too much with their breeding. I am sure the National Trust would do something about it if it did.

5 comments:

kiwi said...

Kate - how I would be thrilled if I could take images like any one of the 31 - wow how could you pic -I can see why you posted 31. I have Sarah, Azaleah and Adrian staying at present in Ch Ch with me so things are hectic but I will get back to looking at these images in more detail -

kiwi said...

Amazing to get these 3 images in sequence - I don't like birds anywhere near my head - just a quick scroll thru - the puffins are such comical looking birds - looking forward to taking a closer view and the size of that guys lens - that is a good shot Kate :-) I will be back

kiwi said...

Sorry my comments read like texts, I can understand your saying a "wonderful trip" it certainly must have been. Post some more images here or FFT :-) I must get on but would luv to stay and look some more and will soon !!! Wow

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! That is COOL--I wish I were there. I love it! How cute and fun.

I''m still having trouble with this blog, dunno why, not with any others.

I was working on a novel that includes arctic terns so it would be great to go there.

Katie J said...

A novel with arctic terns. My Mary you really cram a lot in to your life!